Professional Development Funds

What types of funds are available?

How do I know which to apply for?

Each program is described below to help you determine the best source of funding for your needs.

What is the application process?

Follow the steps for Professional Development Funds. Other programs can be explained further by the Human Resources Department.

How does reimbursement affect my taxable income?

In most cases the reimbursement you receive does not get factored into your taxable income even though it is reported as part of your gross income. Some exclusions may apply when being reimbursed for tuition. Refer to Memorandum No. 2006-38 (available in the HR office) for details.

Professional Development Funds

Professional Development Funds are designated for activities that enhance professional growth. The applicant selects the professional development activity based on personal interests and applicability of the training to the goals of the College.

Funds may be used to:

  • Attend professional conferences, seminars, courses, graduate programs, or participate in distance learning activities.
  • Develop and participate in seminars and conferences at HCC.

Who may apply

  • All full-time faculty and ACLs.
  • Congress part-time lecturers who have taught at least 18 credit hours in the community college system, and part-time, non-teaching, Congress unit members who have worked at least nine hours per week for at least three semesters.

Maximum allowance for full-time is $1,000 for the academic year and $250 for Part-time staff and adjunct faculty. This figure is based upon the funding received by the College and recommendations made by the Professional Development Committee. Proposals are reviewed and approved by the Academic Dean. The applicant will be notified if proposal is not approved or more information is needed.

Documentation and Deadlines

Professional Development Funds are allocated to HCC for use during the academic year. As a State agency, HCC must comply with existing policy on deadlines and adequate documentation.  Please follow the steps below to ensure the proper processing of your request:

To reserve professional development monies, you must:

  1. Complete a Travel Authorization (TA) Request form and attach a description of the activity.
  2. Submit to the Academic Dean’s Office (not HR) for approval. 
    • You will be contacted by the Academic Dean’s Office/HR Dept. if the request is not approved or more information is needed.
    • A copy is forwarded to HR to reserve funds and originals are sent to the Business Office.
    • HR will send a PDF copy of the approved TA form to requester via e-mail. 

Note:  Reimbursement forms will not be processed if an approved TA is not on file in the Business Office. Pre-payment for activities that have not been pre-approved is not recommended since reimbursement cannot be guaranteed.

Once the request is approved and the activity has taken place, to apply for reimbursement (up to the maximum allowance), you must:

  1. Complete the Employee Payroll Reimbursement form.
  2. Attach proof of payment--original receipts, copy of cashed check, or credit card statement showing the name of the vendor and amount(s) paid, etc.
  3. Attach proof of attendance--name tag, certificate of completion, final grade, etc.
  4. Submit to Academic Dean’s Office for signature within 30 days*** after the event has taken place or by reimbursement deadline, whichever is sooner.

All reimbursement paperwork must be submitted by the deadline provided by HR Dept. 

Additional Sources of Funding

Waiver of Tuition and Fees

Bargaining Unit Unclassified Employees and Non-bargaining Unit Unclassified Employees who work twenty (20) or more hours a week and their spouses and dependent children at all Community Colleges.  Waiver of general fund tuition, the application fee, the program enrollment fee, the college services fee, and the student activity fee for may be granted.  In addition, waivers of extension fees for non-credit course (CE) offerings and for extension credit course offerings (summer and winter breaks) may be granted on a space available basis in the discretion of the CCC the employee (or employee’s spouse/dependent child) elects to attend and in accordance with the collective bargaining agreements between the board and the unclassified employee unions and guidelines adopted by the Chancellor.

Administrative Clerical (NP-3) Classified Employees with permanent status and actively at work (not on any kind of leave), regularly scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week, and having received a rating of “Good” or better on the most recent service rating. Waiver of general fund tuition, the application fee, the program enrollment fee, the college services fee, and the student activity fee for may be granted for up to two (2) for-credit courses (maximum of 8 credits) on a space-available basis at any college in the system during the Fall and Spring semesters only.

Full-time Community Colleges Employees - The application fee, program enrollment fee, college services fee and student activity fee shall be waived at all Community Colleges for full-time employees of the Connecticut Community College system and their spouses and dependent children.

Waiver forms may be attained through the HR Office, A203a or online.

Center for Teaching (CFT)

The Center for Teaching offers a wide range of free professional development for educators, including on-campus workshops, speakers, and discussions, off-campus retreats and seminars, a web site and the WebCT site for the exchange of ideas and sharing of resources. The campus Teaching/Learning Consultant is also available to faculty and teaching staff who seek confidential assistance or need resources. In addition, Center for Teaching may underwrite the cost of materials and/or speakers for shared-learning experiences between classes or among faculty. For more information, contact Steve Mark at or visit the CFT web site.



Housatonic Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F.
Protected group members are encouraged to apply.

Achieving the Dream
Aspen Award
JED Campus